Are you interested in global sustainability and social justice? Do you want to connect with organizations working on these issues across BC? We want you to volunteer with us!
As a network of over 100 members, the BC Council for International Cooperation seeks to provide opportunities for British Columbians to engage with global issues and get a taste of what it’s like to be part of the civil society sector. With 17 Sustainable Development Goals to tackle locally and globally by 2030, there is much to be done – get involved today!
Description & Context:
BCCIC is looking for a qualified volunteer who will play a key role in our upcoming Annual General Meeting (AGM). Held on Friday Oct. 4th, BCCIC’s AGM happens once a year and brings together the diverse range of international cooperation organizations that make up the BCCIC network. The AGM is an opportunity for BCCIC members to plan, share information, build relationships, explore collaborations and chart future directions for BCCIC. This year’s AGM is a unique event as it coincides with BCCIC’s 30th birthday and will involve a look back over the last 30 years, a recap on where we are now and a collective exploration of where we want to go over the next 30 years.
The BCCIC AGM Assistant will work with a team of other staff members/volunteers to successfully organize the event. BCCIC is looking for an energetic volunteer to contact BCCIC members, work on logistics (catering options, and venue confirmation), help promote the event, and most importantly – help to setup and facilitate the AGM on October 4th from 8 am to 6pm.
We encourage a collaborative work environment and prefer if volunteers are able to come into the Vancouver-based office. The amount of volunteer hours as well as the balance of office-based and remote work can be negotiated with the prospective volunteer though we would prefer a minimum commitment of 15 hours/ week to ensure a meaningful and impactful experience. Ability to attend and support the AGM on October 4th from 8 am to 6pm is a key requirement for this volunteer position.
Possible Responsibilities and Tasks:
– Help organize BCCIC’s biggest annual meeting of member organizations with representatives from BC-based international cooperation organizations in attendance.
– Contact BC members to ensure their attendance at the AGM including arranging travel subsidies and helping with travel planning for BCCIC members based outside of Vancouver and the Lower Mainland.
– Design communications materials for the AGM and for event materials for AGM workshops and activities.
– Help with the set-up, registration, facilitation and take down of the AGM on October 4th from 8 am to 6 pm.
What makes a good fit:
- Passionate about global change
- Wanting to gain valuable work experience in the non-profit sector
- Confident talking to people on the phone and in person
- Experienced at organizing events and logistics e.g. booking venues and equipment hire
- Ideally comfortable with graphic design and Google apps.
Volunteering with BCCIC is an unpaid experience for which no monetary compensation is provided. Understanding and appreciating that those who volunteer with us are seeking to gain experience and to contribute toward a better world, BCCIC staff work with each of our volunteers to make the experience of volunteering with us as meaningful as possible. Our volunteers set their own schedules and decide collaboratively with a BCCIC staff member as to the tasks they wish to perform.
In your time with us, you can expect:
- Opportunity to meet and network with a wide range of BC-based international cooperation organizations including groups working on human rights, gender equality, health, education, sustainable agriculture, reconciliation and many other global and global-local issues.
- Free BCCIC membership while volunteering with us;
- Free attendance to events organized by BCCIC for its members while volunteering with BCCIC;
- Opportunity to build one’s skills and CV as part of the BCCIC team;
- Opportunity to learn more about the international development context in BC as part of a provincial network
Please do include the time commitment you are able to make within the body of your statement of interest. During your orientation, BCCIC staff will work with you to set the number of hours you wish to commit to on a weekly or monthly basis. Being able to attend and support part or all of the AGM on October 4th between 8 am and 6 pm is a key requirement for this volunteer position.
All BCCIC volunteers have an orientation session to better understand the organization and what it means to be a volunteer with us.
Communication and Accountability:
We hope to engage our volunteers in tasks that are interesting, impactful and contribute to the work for the BCCIC. As such, we hope for a high-degree of accountability.
In the orientation, volunteers will schedule regular check-ins in order to track progress, identify and reflect on expectations, and review overall satisfaction with the volunteer experience. i
To express interest:
Please email your CV, and a short (not to exceed one page) statement of interest to email@example.com
Deadline to express interest is September 12th at 5:00 PM. Individuals will be contacted and matched on a rolling basis.
BCCIC is a network of British Columbia voluntary international development organizations and provincial branches of such organizations committed to achieving sustainable global development in a peaceful and healthy environment, with social justice, human dignity and participation for all. For more information on BCCIC visit http://bccic.ca/