SDG Mapping Data Analyst
Are you are interested in global issues and social justice? Do you want to engage with big issues in a practical setting and an opportunity to network with civil society professionals? If so, we want you to volunteer with us!
Description & Context:
BCCIC is looking for a qualified volunteer SDG Mapping Data Analyst who will assist our Movement Map Team Lead in researching civil society organizations and adding them to our SDG Movement Map. The Movement Map’s mission is to reveal all the non-profits and charities already working on achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals in Canada. The analyst will be using relevant online resources, as well as BCCIC developed tools to help expand the map. The analyst will gain valuable experience applying their research and technical skills to a social change oriented cause.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Gain a thorough and detailed understanding of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and their Targets
- Research non-profits and charities in Canada, using online tools and resources
- Review and approve requests to add new organizations to the map
- Respond to support emails from the public and organizations already on the map
The following skills and experience are considered assets:
- Comfortable with Microsoft Excel
- Ability to quickly learn new software tools
- Some experience managing data sets and using databases
- Some knowledge of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
What makes a good fit:
- Passionate about using technology, especially web-based platforms to bring about social change
- Interested in learning more about and working with the agenda-setting Sustainable Development Goals
- Interested in using data to bring about social change
- Wanting to gain valuable work experience in the non-profit sector
- Confident talking to people on the phone and in person
Volunteering with BCCIC is an unpaid experience for which no monetary compensation is provided. Understanding and appreciating that those who volunteer with us are seeking to gain experience and contribute to moving toward a better world, BCCIC staff work with each of our volunteers to make the experience of volunteering with us as meaningful as possible. Our volunteers set their own schedules and decide collaboratively with a BCCIC staff member as to the tasks they wish to perform.
In your time with us, you can expect:
- Free membership to BCCIC during the time that volunteering is taking place;
- Free attendance to events and webinars organized by BCCIC for its members while volunteering with BCCIC;
- Opportunity to build one’s skills and add to one’s CV as part of the BCCIC team;
- Opportunity to learn more about international development in the context of BC as part of a provincial network
The SDG Mapping Data Analyst will begin volunteering with BCCIC from the beginning of July and work until August 31st. In this position, we are seeking volunteers who will remain with us for at least two months. Please include the time commitment you are able to make within the body of your statement of interest. During your orientation, BCCIC staff will work with you to set the number of hours you wish to commit to on a weekly or monthly basis. We are seeking volunteers who are able to commit to at least 12 hours per week.
All BCCIC volunteers have a one-day orientation session to better understand the organization and what it means to be a volunteer with us.
Deadline to express interest: Friday, June 28th at 5:00 PM.
Interested individuals are asked to email Orton Mak at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your CV as well as a short statement of interest. Individuals will be contacted and assessed on a rolling basis.
BCCIC is a coalition of British Columbia voluntary international development organizations and provincial branches of such organizations committed to achieving sustainable global development in a peaceful and healthy environment, with social justice, human dignity and participation for all. For more information on BCCIC visit http://bccic.ca/.