A BCCIC Chapter is a group of members who have come together in a particular geographic location in the province to undertake collective work. A Chapter will have at least five individual members as well as affiliate and/or organizational members in good standing¹ with BCCIC. The Chapter members will work together on a regular basis to participate in BCCIC initiatives, programming and services.
Provided the BCCIC mission and goals are adhered to, BCCIC Chapters will not be prohibited from taking on activities and projects which are not specifically tied to BCCIC.
Comox Valley Global Awareness Network (CVGAN)
West Kootenay Global Awareness Network (WKGAN)
South Van Isle Chapter (SoVI)
Global Empowerment Coalition of the Central Okanagan (GECCO)
- Active involvement of at least five BCCIC members who form the steering committee and share the responsibility for Chapter operations. All Chapter members will be BCCIC members in good standing.
- Commit, in the Chapter Agreement, to BCCIC constitution, mission and goals and the Istanbul principles.
- Promote BCCIC and recruiting BCCIC members.
- Organize and coordinate activities which focus on global citizenship. Chapters are required to facilitate an annual event, planned in collaboration with BCCIC, celebrating international solidarity. Further, should BCCIC be able to provide funding to support Chapter activities, BCCIC and the Chapter will enter into an agreement which will define the deliverables and the funding available.
- A contact person who will be the primary BCCIC liaison.
- Submission of the Annual Chapter Report by March 31st each year.
Support from BCCIC
- Review and make decisions on approval of a Chapter application in a timely manner.
- Provide a representative of an applying Chapter with a list of BCCIC members in the geographic area and once the Chapter is formed provide the Chapter with timely updates of BCCIC members in the geographic area.
- One time Chapter start-up fund (for each membership collected by the Chapter in the first year, BCCIC will give back 110 per cent of the membership contribution to the Chapter in the first year)
- A contact person who will be the primary Chapter liaison.
- Voting rights at BCCIC AGM by one chapter representative.
- Provide financial support for events, should funding be available, as defined by the source funder. This may include support financial support for planning and coordination.
- Access for the Chapter to BCCIC membership services.
Starting a BCCIC Chapter
- Contact BCCIC office to express interest in starting a Chapter.
- Complete the application process including ensuring at least five people are available to form a steering committee and each of those people is a member of BCCIC or represents an organization that is a member of BCCIC.
Note: Membership process for people who are not current BCCIC members includes completion of membership process and approval of membership. This process must be completed simultaneously or prior to a Chapter is being formed.
- Organize and hold the first meeting for the Chapter. A BCCIC representative will participate in this first formal meeting.
- As part of the first meeting BCCIC and the designated Chapter representative will sign the Chapter agreement.
¹A member in good standing is defined as a member who has paid for BCCIC membership prior to the AGM each September