- This event has passed.
Anti-Racism Response Training (A.R.T.)
January 25 @ 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
The Comox Valley Chapter of BCCIC would like to share a part of your day with you while exploring how we can expand our progress in being more inclusive as a community.
Facilitators: Thanh Tazumi, Naomi L. Wolfe & Sanchit Mittal
Over the past months, racism has become front and center in the news. Many people are expressing outrage regarding both past and present incidents of racism and hate here in BC and beyond. And while we know that victims of racism can be traumatized by the inaction of bystanders, most people freeze up when they witness incidents of racism, often due to a lack of skills.
The ANTI-RACISM RESPONSE TRAINING Program (A.R.T.), developed by Dr. Ishu Ishiyama – and recently adapted and enhanced by your facilitators – uses a witness-centered approach to disrupting racism. This training is designed to encourage participants to shift from being frozen or silent bystanders to becoming active witnesses. In doing so, we can disrupt racism and build a safer and more inclusive community.
- Consider the impacts of being a passive bystander vs. active witness
- Gain greater understanding of the harmful impacts of racist encounters
- Review four levels of witnessing
- Explore four key categories of active witnessing
- Learn and practice a wide range of anti-racism responses and share some of your own