Position Title: International Program Director
Location: Vancouver, BC
Reports to: Executive Director
ABOUT THE JUSTICE EDUCATION SOCIETY (JES)
JES is a non–profit organization with over 25 years of experience providing public legal education and justice system capacity building in Canada and overseas. In Canada, JES helps British Columbians learn about our justice system, address their legal issues, improve legal capability and access to justice. JES works with partners around the world to deliver practical, integrated and impactful projects that promote effective and accessible justice systems which are key to sustainable development, individual security and human rights. With extensive experience in designing and implementing international projects, our work has included a range of diverse projects on justice capacity building, the rule of law, citizen security, human rights, access to justice, gender-based violence, youth justice and public legal education. JES currently has programs in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Panama and Guyana, and works with national institutions to strengthen justice systems, and increase access to justice and citizen security. JES has offices in British Columbia, Guatemala, Honduras and Guyana and has diverse sources of funding including private donors and provincial, federal and overseas governments.
The International Program Director (IPD) oversees the planning, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of JES’ international projects and plays a key leadership role throughout the organization. The IPD has overall responsibility for the work of the international program team based in Canada and abroad and interacts regularly with funders, partners and stakeholders.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Participate in discussions regarding future directions of JES international programming, and determine priorities for program work including making of recommendations regarding JES’ program approach, innovative strategies, thematic focus, countries of operation, etc.
- Build, strengthen and maintain connections with funders and key stakeholders.
- Participate in business development activities.
- Participate as a member of the Senior Leadership Team in contributing to the overall strategy, administration and management of the organization.
Program Development and Delivery
- Provide leadership and oversight of the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of JES’ international programs.
- Provide progress report and ensure successful completion of all projects on time and on budget.
- Maintain or improve efficiencies of established systems, processes and frameworks that enable JES to deliver quality programs.
- Identify and promote key project innovations and successes for dissemination through a variety of communication channels.
- Ensure that program activity is consistent with JES’ established program approach, principles, policies, and is aligned with its Strategic Plan.
- Lead staff, provide guidance and support, and encourage positive employee contribution.
- Develop goal setting, provide feedback, and conduct performance reviews.
- Help foster a dynamic organizational culture and strong team cohesion amongst all JES staff.
- Ensure regular opportunities for two-way feedback, professional development, coaching and mentoring.
- Cultivate an environment for organizational learning by bringing others together to examine successes and to assist in defining specific issues and create solutions.
- Ensure that human resource policies and practices are followed and adhered to.
Financial and risk management
- In collaboration with the Finance Director, provide timely and accurate financial reporting, monitoring, budgeting and forecasting information for all international projects.
- Ensure effective liaison with funders regarding the administration of, and reporting on, grants.
- Identify and implement risk management strategies that respond to current and anticipated risks in program operations.
Reporting and compliance
- Be accountable to the Executive Director in regard to all aspects of the position.
- Report on program activities to the Board as required, including written report and attendance at Board meetings.
- Engage with and provide support to the International Committee of the Board.
- Ensure that reports are provided to funders as required. Maintain and regularly review policies and procedures relevant to program operations to ensure compliance with funder requirements and other relevant guidelines.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of all phases of international program delivery
- Project management experience in multi-year international development projects, preferably in justice or related sectors.
- Knowledge of international development issues, trends and practices.
- Management experience in leading multicultural teams.
- Demonstrated success in preparing project proposals for funding.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and a proven ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Demonstrated leadership, critical & strategic thinking, team-building and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English. Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable and French would be an asset
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally on a regular basis.
- Experience managing projects in multiple countries, preferably in Latin America.
- Experience implementing capacity building projects in the areas of justice and human rights.
Post-graduate education in a relevant discipline such as international development, law, project management, human rights, business administration or equivalent professional experience and education.
You must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have a valid work permit issued by the Government of Canada.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by June 28th, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.