If you are interested in global issues and social justice, want to engage with the big issues in a practical setting and want an opportunity to network with civil society professionals we want you to volunteer with us!
As a network of over 100 members, the BC Council for International Cooperation seeks to provide opportunities for British Columbians to engage with global issues and get a taste of what it’s like to be part of the civil society sector. With 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to tackle locally and globally by 2030, there is much to be done – get involved today!
Description & Context:
BCCIC is looking for a qualified volunteer who will play a key role in supporting BCCIC’s programming and its network of regional Chapters in Kelowna, Victoria, Comox Valley and Nelson. Programming tasks will include supporting the planning and coordination of BCCIC’s capacity building workshops, networking events and public engagement activities. The volunteer will also act as a liaison with BCCIC’s regional Chapters and will provide assistance and information as well as coordinating communications and supporting Chapter events and activities.
Possible Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Help with planning and preparation of BCCIC’s capacity building, public engagement and networking workshops including organizing venues, logistics and event promotion.
- Assist the facilitation of BCCIC workshops and events and network with BCCIC Members.
- Liaise with BCCIC’s regional Chapters in Kelowna, Victoria, Comox Valley and Nelson to provide necessary information and support Chapter programming and operations.
- Support programming and Chapters performance evaluation and reporting requirements.
- Organize online and in-person inter-Chapter meetings to promote collaboration, knowledge sharing and peer learning among Chapters.
- Support Chapters interested in the BC2030 initiative which is aimed at raising awareness and promoting public engagement in relation to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Carry out research relevant to BCCIC’s programming and Chapter needs.
What makes a good fit:
- Interested in learning about and working with the Sustainable Development Goals
- Wanting to gain valuable work experience in the non-profit sector
- Confident talking to people on the phone and in person
- Experienced at organizing events and logistics
- Ideally comfortable with graphic design and Google apps.
Volunteer Benefits: Volunteering with BCCIC is an unpaid experience for which no monetary compensation is provided. Understanding and appreciating those who volunteer with us are seeking to gain experience and contribute to moving toward a better world, BCCIC staff work with each of our volunteers to make the experience of volunteering with us as meaningful as possible. Our volunteers set their own schedules and decide collaboratively with a BCCIC staff member as to the tasks they wish to perform.
In your time us, you can expect:
- Free membership to BCCIC during the time that volunteering is taking place;
- Free attendance to events organized by BCCIC for its members while volunteering with BCCIC;
- Opportunity to build one’s skills and CV as part of the BCCIC team;
- Opportunity to learn more about the international development context in BC as part of a provincial network
Duration: The Programming and Chapter Assistant will begin volunteering with BCCIC from November 26 onward. Volunteering with BCCIC is flexible, but to reduce volunteer turnover we hope for volunteers to stay with us for a minimum of 3 months. Exceptions are made for projects with quick turnaround times. Please do include the time commitment you are able to make within the body of your statement of interest. During your orientation, BCCIC staff will work with you to set the number of hours you wish to commit to on a weekly or monthly basis. In the past, BCCIC volunteers have generally committed to 7-14 hours a week.
Orientation: All BCCIC volunteers have a one-day orientation session to better understand the organization and what it means to be a volunteer with us.
To express interest: Please email your CV, a short (not to exceed one page) statement of interest to email@example.com
Deadline to express interest is November 15, 2018 at 5:00 PM. Successful individuals will be contacted on November 16 to organize a brief in-person interview at the BCCIC offices.
BCCIC is a network of British Columbia voluntary international development organizations and provincial branches of such organizations committed to achieving sustainable global development in a peaceful and healthy environment, with social justice, human dignity and participation for all. For more information on BCCIC visit http://bccic.ca/