Would you like to build your capacity for public engagement and development effectiveness? The Inter-Council Network of Provincial and Regional Councils for International Cooperation (ICN) will be subsidizing three BC participants to attend the Public Engagement Catalyst Forum, taking place from October 11th to 13th 2017 at the Centre Culturel Franco-Manitoban, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Subsidies will cover participant airfares, accommodation and meals expenses during the forum.
The ICN Public Engagement Catalyst Forum 2017 is a national initiative of the ICN that seeks to develop organizational capacity in public (community) engagement, and to increase the overall development effectiveness of Council members and other public engagement (PE) practitioners across Canada.
The Forum will convene approximately 50 PE practitioners from coast-to-coast-to-coast for a two-day, bilingual Forum intended to:
- Foster and build strategic commitment to public engagement on global sustainable development
- Provide space for deeper exploration of feminist and rights-based approaches, the sustainable development goals, thought leadership and effective monitoring and evaluation of PE
- Critically examine current PE tools and approaches including social media
- Provide the opportunity to share ideas and expertise, and identify potential partnerships and synergies
The program will likely feature an exclusive tour of the Canadian Museum of Human Rights, as well as an evening networking event featuring artists who use their art for social change. These are both to be confirmed. Registration link and details are below:
- Registration Link: http://bit.ly/2vcP3no
- Conference email: email@example.com
- ICN website page detailing conference: http://bit.ly/2w1eQgP
- ICN bilingual newsletter signup form: http://bit.ly/2vjV39A
A limited number of subsidies are available to participate in the Public Engagement Catalyst Forum. If you are interested in applying for one of these subsidies, please email your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, August 31st. Depending on the number of applicants, there will be a very tight turnaround time (1 week) for applications and selection.
The subsidy will cover:
- Travel (most direct economy fare, to be arranged by ICN staff)
- Accommodations (shared, to be arranged by ICN staff)
- Meals (compensated through ICN per diems)
In order to manage costs, as well as ensure as many participants as possible, subsidized participants will be sharing accommodations.
Subsidies will be based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated interest and practice of public engagement. This would include persons who are involved in human-rights, community, social justice, and/ or environmental education, global citizenship, among others.
- Interest and understanding of global development issues
- Depth of connection with their local community and an understanding of community context, needs and sustainable development issues unique to that community.
- Demonstrated level of ambition for social change and passion for the social well-being of others.
- Motivation and commitment to engage the Canadian public in education for global social change.
- Commitment and enthusiasm to learn new information, gain new skills, and participate in Council/ ICN projects beyond the Forum.
- Willingness to promote the event (through social media or otherwise), or serve as a session host/ facilitator.
- Association with a provincial/regional council.
Council Board members, staff and interns, are welcome to apply.
In the spirit of promoting accessibility and diversity the selection committee will also take into consideration an applicant’s past opportunities to participate in training or professional development. Further, the committee agrees that applicants will be ranked based only on information that is submitted.