Sustainable Development Mapping Assistant
Are you interested in global issues? Do you want to be part of a network of committed international change agents striving to achieve sustainable development? As part of the BC Council for International Cooperation’s volunteer program we are looking for a Sustainable Development Mapping Assistant.
BCCIC is looking for a qualified volunteer who will play a key role in creating a one-of-a-kind national online map of Canadian organizations contributing to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This online map will act as a key collaboration tool for connecting organizations working on the SDGs, raising awareness of their impact among the general public, and supporting Canada’s progress toward the SDGs. The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals are setting the agenda for global change over the next 15 years, and the Sustainable Development Mapping Assistant will gain valuable experience working with the SDG framework by researching and identifying the Canadian non-profits who are contributing to the Goals. For an example of what you will be working on, check out BCCIC’s current online SDG map of organizations based in British Columbia: SDG Movement Map.
This is an ideal opportunity for individuals who are:
- Passionate about global change
- Interested in learning more about the international development sector in BC and across Canada
- Interested in learning about and working with the agenda setting Sustainable Development Goals
- Experienced in working with Excel spreadsheets
- Detail oriented and capable of processing large amounts of data over time.
*We are also currently looking for French-speaking people who can work on the Quebec section of the map!
BCCIC is looking for a volunteer interns who can dedicate between 7.5 and 15 hours a week in our office in Vancouver to carry out the following tasks:
- Internet research and documentation of Canadian non-profits working on each of the SDGs
- Creation of a national SDG database (using Excel) of Canadian non-profits working on SDG related issues.
In return for donating your time, BCCIC will provide opportunities to:
- Gain valuable research, data management and mapping experience.
- Be involved in a ground breaking mapping project that will make visible the mosaic of Canadian non-profits already working on the SDGs in order to increase public support and network building.
- Attend BCCIC training workshops and networking events.
Interested individuals are asked to e-mail Luke at email@example.com and provide a copy of your CV as well as a short (not to exceed one page) statement of interest that includes 1) When you can start, 2) How long you can volunteer on the SDG mapping project for (your preferred end date), and 3) How many hours per week you are available to volunteer with BCCIC.
Applications to apply are due November 15 – interviews will take place during the week of November 19 and successful applicants will begin right away.
BCCIC is a coalition of British Columbia voluntary international development organizations and provincial branches of such organizations committed to achieving sustainable global development in a peaceful and healthy environment, with social justice, human dignity and participation for all. For more information on BCCIC visit http://bccic.ca/.