Online Engagement Assistant
If you are interested in global issues and social justice, want to engage with the big issues in a practical setting and want an opportunity to network with civil society professionals we want you to volunteer with us!
As a network of over 100 members, the BC Council for International Cooperation seeks to provide opportunities for British Columbians to engage with global issues and get a taste of what it’s like to be part of the civil society sector. With 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to tackle locally and globally by 2030, there is much to be done – get involved today!
Description & Context:
BCCIC is looking for a qualified volunteer who will assist our Communications Officer in fully utilizing the organizational social media channels (Facebook and Twitter) as well as other online tools and strategies for engaging the public (newsletter, ads, posting to websites, management of BCCIC website, videos and streaming). BCCIC has many tools available and is interested in exploring these tools to their fullest potential, and finding new avenues for online engagement. The Online Engagement Assistant will assist with general BCCIC online engagement.
Possible Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Collaborating on reviewing the online strategy and tools used
- Experimenting with new vectors for engagement
- Posting to BCCIC channels
- Critiquing and improving the design of BCCIC online channels
- Doing relevant research
What makes a good fit:
- Knowledgeable about online platforms, desiring to learn more
- Passionate about global change
- Interested in learning about and working with the Sustainable Development Goals
- Wanting to gain valuable work experience in the non-profit sector
- Creative, motivated to volunteer in a highly productive organization
Volunteering with BCCIC is an unpaid experience for which no monetary compensation is provided. Understanding and appreciating those who volunteer with us are seeking to gain experience and contribute to moving toward a better world, BCCIC staff work with each of our volunteers to make the experience of volunteering with us as meaningful as possible. Our volunteers set their own schedules and decide collaboratively with a BCCIC staff member as to the tasks they wish to perform.
In your time with us, you can expect:
- Free membership to BCCIC during the time that volunteering is taking place;
- Free attendance to events organized by BCCIC for its members while volunteering with BCCIC;
- Opportunity to build one’s skills and CV as part of the BCCIC team;
- Opportunity to learn more about the international development context in BC as part of a provincial network
The Online Engagement Assistant will begin volunteering with BCCIC from October 15th onward. Volunteering with BCCIC is flexible, but to reduce volunteer turnover we hope for volunteers to stay with us for a minimum of 3 months. Exceptions are made for projects with quick turnaround times. Please do include the time commitment you are able to make within the body of your statement of interest. During your orientation, BCCIC staff will work with you to set the number of hours you wish to commit to on a weekly or monthly basis. In the past, BCCIC volunteers have generally committed to 7-14 hours a week.
All BCCIC volunteers have a one-day orientation session to better understand the organization and what it means to be a volunteer with us.
To express interest:
Please email your CV, a short (not to exceed one page) statement of interest to email@example.com
Deadline to express interest is Tuesday October 9 at 5:00 PM. Successful applicants will be contacted by Friday October 12 to arrange a follow-up interview.
BCCIC is a network of British Columbia voluntary international development organizations and provincial branches of such organizations committed to achieving sustainable global development in a peaceful and healthy environment, with social justice, human dignity and participation for all. For more information on BCCIC visit http://bccic.ca/