Digital Communications Assistant
APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED – Please apply before January 19, 2020 at 5:00 PM
As a network of over 100 members, the BC Council for International Cooperation seeks to provide opportunities for British Columbians to engage with global issues. With 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to tackle locally and globally by 2030, there is much to be done. And we need your help!
If you are interested in social justice, if you engage in global issues, and if you would like to network with civil society professionals, then volunteering with BCCIC is for you.
Description & Context:
The purpose of this volunteer position is to help further BCCIC’s external outreach and engagement objectives. BCCIC’s external communications strategy reflects the organization’s core theory of change. BCCIC defines its ultimate goal of ‘change’ as an increase in critical thinking on topics of social thought and identity as they relate to global issues, such as the SDGs.
In order to create the right conditions for increased critical thinking about the SDGs, BCCIC is constantly working to grow its audience, to disseminate pertinent local and global social justice information, and to maintain its status as a thought leader in British Columbia’s international development sector. This volunteer position is needed to ensure that the BCCIC communications team is able to monitor and respond to all relevant media, disseminate its own news in a timely manner, and maintain its digital presence.
On a day-to-day basis, the Digital Communications Assistant will be working closely with and reporting to the Communications Officer. Daily duties of the Digital Communications Assistant will include scanning and responding to the news, writing press releases, writing blog posts, writing and scheduling social media posts across channels, and collecting social media and website data and analytics.
What makes you a good fit:
- A good understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals;
- A passion for social justice;
- A strong desire to disseminate important, factual information;
- Exceptional writing and referencing skills;
- The ability to identify credible online sources;
- Experience using social media applications such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn;
- The desire to learn new digital skills;
- Basic graphic design skills are an asset but not a requirement;
- Character requirements include: timeliness, commitment, reliability, resourcefulness, some degree of independence; flexibility; critical thinking, and being able to communicate effectively.
We will appoint volunteers based on experience, knowledge, and merit.
Volunteering with BCCIC is an unpaid experience for which no monetary compensation is provided. Understanding and appreciating that those who volunteer with us are seeking to gain work experience and contribute to a better world, BCCIC staff work personally with each of our volunteers to make the experience as meaningful as possible. Our volunteers set their own schedules and discuss which tasks they would prefer to work on with their supervisors.
In your time us, you can expect:
- Free membership to BCCIC during the time that volunteering is taking place;
- Free attendance to events organized by BCCIC for its members while volunteering with BCCIC;
- Opportunity to build one’s skills and CV as part of the BCCIC team;
- Opportunity to learn more about the international development context in BC as part of a provincial network
The duration of this positions is 3 months (with the possibility of extension) and a time commitment of 12 hours per week. Please do include the time commitment you are able to make within the body of your statement of interest.
All BCCIC volunteers must undergo a one-day orientation session to better understand the organization and what it means to be a volunteer with us.
Please email your CV and a short (not to exceed one page) statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Digital Communications Assistant’ in the subject line of your email.
APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED – Please apply before January 19, 2020 at 5:00 PM. Individuals will be contacted if they have moved to the interview portion of the application.
BCCIC is a network of British Columbian voluntary international development organizations, or provincial branches of such organizations, committed to achieving sustainable global development in a peaceful and healthy environment, with social justice, human dignity, and participation for all. For more information on BCCIC visit http://bccic.ca/