As a network of over 100 members, the BC Council for International Cooperation seeks to provide opportunities for British Columbians to engage with global issues. With 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to tackle locally and globally by 2030, there is much to be done. And we need your help!
If you are interested in social justice, if you engage in global issues, and if you would like to network with civil society professionals, then volunteering with BCCIC is for you.
Description & Context:
The purpose of this volunteer position is to help build BCCIC’s internal communications and research capacity. BCCIC is currently remodelling its visual identity and creating some new communications strategies and guidelines. This volunteer position is needed to help research and create these materials.
The Communications and Research assistant will be working closely with the BCCIC team and reporting to the Communications Officer. Duties will include creating an updated writing guide for daily use by the BCCIC team, researchers, and other volunteers. They will compile research of ethical public engagement and digital campaigning.
What makes you a good fit:
- A good understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals;
- A passion for social justice;
- A strong desire to disseminate important, factual information;
- Exceptional writing and referencing skills;
- The ability to identify credible online sources;
- Experience using social media applications such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn;
- The desire to learn new digital skills;
- Basic graphic design skills are an asset but not a requirement;
- Character requirements include: timeliness, commitment, reliability, resourcefulness, some degree of independence; flexibility; critical thinking, and being able to communicate effectively.
We will appoint volunteers based on experience, knowledge, and merit.
Volunteering with BCCIC is an unpaid experience for which no monetary compensation is provided. Understanding and appreciating that those who volunteer with us are seeking to gain work experience and contribute to a better world, BCCIC staff work personally with each of our volunteers to make the experience as meaningful as possible. Our volunteers set their own schedules and discuss which tasks they would prefer to work on with their supervisors.
In your time us, you can expect:
- Free membership to BCCIC during the time that volunteering is taking place;
- Free attendance to events organized by BCCIC for its members while volunteering with BCCIC;
- Opportunity to build one’s skills and CV as part of the BCCIC team;
- Opportunity to learn more about the international development context in BC as part of a provincial network
Time commitment of 2 days a week, 3-4 hours each day and a total of 6-8 hours per week.
Please email your CV and a short (not to exceed one page) statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Internal Communications and Research Assistant’ in the subject line of your email.
Please apply before May 1, 2020 at 5:00 PM. Individuals will be contacted if they have moved to the interview portion of the application.
BCCIC is a network of British Columbian voluntary international development organizations, or provincial branches of such organizations, committed to achieving sustainable global development in a peaceful and healthy environment, with social justice, human dignity, and participation for all. For more information on BCCIC visit http://bccic.ca/