Volunteer: SDG Praxis Program Assistant 2020/2021
This opportunity has closed and we are no longer accepting expressions of interest.
If you are interested in global issues and social justice, want to engage with the big issues in a practical setting and want an opportunity to network with civil society professionals we want you to volunteer with us!
As a network of over 100 members, the BC Council for International Cooperation seeks to provide opportunities for British Columbians to engage with global issues and get a taste of what it’s like to be part of the civil society sector. With 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to tackle locally and globally by 2030, there is much to be done – get involved today!
Description & Context:
BCCIC is looking for a qualified volunteer to play a key role in supporting the upcoming SDG Praxis Program. The Praxis Program is an online learning experience designed for professionals engaged in the sustainability and social change sectors who recognize that changing the world involves changing ourselves. The Program adopts a transformative change approach aimed at developing and integrating capacities for inner, collective and systems change in the context of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. The Praxis Program Assistant will be actively involved in the planning and coordination of the Program which will take place starting in October 2020. The role will involve supporting the organization of the Program’s logistics, communication and coordination with Program participants, development of communications and course materials, and participation in Praxis Program online retreat sessions and activities.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Help with planning and design of SDG Praxis Program curriculum and activities.
- Developing promotional materials and course materials (handouts etc.) for the Praxis Program.
- Support the promotion of the Praxis Program and the selection of participants.
- Liaise with Praxis Program participants by email/phone to answer questions and provide updates.
- Gathering and analyzing feedback and evaluation from Praxis Program participants.
- Participating in and supporting all four of the Praxis Program retreats including tech support.
What makes a good fit:
- Passionate about sustainability and social justice issues and looking for an opportunity to pursue these interests and gain experience.
- Knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals or a strong interest in learning about and working with the SDGs.
- Experience participating in personal development, team building or leadership retreats etc.
- Interest in the role that the self and personal development plays in social justice and sustainable development work.
- Adaptable with a high degree of tolerance for fluid and changing work tasks, priorities and challenges.
- Able to work with a diverse range of personalities with an ability or curiosity for working with difference, disagreement and conflict.
- Experienced at running webinars and online video calling platforms
- Ideally comfortable with graphic design and Google apps.
Volunteering with BCCIC is an unpaid experience for which no monetary compensation is provided. Understanding and appreciating those who volunteer with us are seeking to gain experience and contribute to moving toward a better world, BCCIC staff work with each of our volunteers to make the experience of volunteering with us as meaningful as possible. Our volunteers set their own schedules and decide collaboratively with a BCCIC staff member as to the tasks they wish to perform.
In your time us, you can expect:
- Free membership to BCCIC during the time that volunteering is taking place;
- Free attendance to events organized by BCCIC for its members while volunteering with BCCIC;
- Opportunity to build one’s skills and CV as part of the BCCIC team;
- Opportunity to learn more about the international development context in BC as part of a provincial network
Applications for the SDG Praxis Program Assistant will be reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis starting immediately. We are looking for volunteers who can start as soon as possible. Volunteering with BCCIC is flexible, but to reduce volunteer turnover we hope for the SDG Praxis Program Assistant to stay with us for three months and to volunteer between 7.5 and 15 hours per week with more time required during the online retreat phases of the Praxis Program. Please include the time commitment you are able to make within the body of your statement of interest including the number of hours per week.
All BCCIC volunteers have a half-day orientation session to better understand the organization and what it means to be a volunteer with us.
To express interest:
Please email your CV and a short (not to exceed one page) statement of interest.
The statement of interest must include your time commitment including when you are able to start volunteering, when you want to finish volunteering, how many hours a week you would like to volunteer, and on which days/time you want to volunteer (e.g. morning or afternoons).
Successful applicants will be contacted on a rolling basis so the sooner you apply the sooner you will hear back from us for a follow-up interview.
BCCIC is a network of British Columbia voluntary international development organizations and provincial branches of such organizations committed to achieving sustainable global development in a peaceful and healthy environment, with social justice, human dignity and participation for all. For more information on BCCIC visit http://bccic.ca/